Thursday, December 24, 2009

Twas Kristmas Eve in Kandahar....

I have to admit that it is a struggle to feel like it is Christmas Eve - No "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the kids, no "Luke 2" next to the fire place. No Hot Chocolate and treats, and the only Christmas Carols are the ones on my computer playing in the background as I type. For the most part, it is another day at work. That's unfortunate - and I'm sure that will change - but in the middle of starting up a program of this magnitude - nothing seems to wait - and the war doesn't stop.

I did get a chance to meet Santa tonight...and boy let me tell you - it must be rough to be the Jolly Old Elf in the middle of a war zone.


Rough enough that even St. Nick was packin' heat! Makes it tough on him, because Rudolph just hates staying out of the No-fly Zones...

Twas Christmas Even in Kandahar
and all throughout the base,
Helicopters, Jets and UAV's prowled
all vieing for Airspace,

There is no "Peace On Earth" right here,
And there will be no "Silent Night",
somewhere out on the tip of the spear
A homesick soldier will have to fight

I wander to and fro tonight,
and see warriors gathered from many lands,
Some solemn, some happy but gathered they are;
For a moment to join hearts and hands,

All thinking of loved ones, and dreaming of home
wishing they could be there,
Mothers, Fathers, sons and daughters;
Somehow it just can't be fair..

So strange it seems, that some could be;
so careless about what's right;
That men and women should gather together;
in such a place, on such a night.

I think I'll curl up with the King James Version of the Good Book, and read Luke 2 by myself, and wish I were home.

Merry Christmas to all.....and to all - a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment