Sunday, November 29, 2009

Colleagues, Friends and Loved Ones...

Anybody who knows me has probably heard me at one point or another talk about how much time those in the workforce spend with their colleagues as opposed to the time during waking hours spent with their families...I'm usually making the point that it's so important to be in a working environment where your enjoy the people you are with, because you will end up spending as much time if not more with them, than your own family - or loved ones.. I'm not saying that's right....just the way it is...

Anyone who knows me also knows how much I love my family. My wife Karen is my heart. My sons, Jake and Jonah are my soul. They are so dear to me, and speaking with them via skype or on the phone is such a treat. Karen is taking such wonderful care of our sons, even though at times I know she feels like she can't possibly do it. Thanks sweetheart for your perseverance and courage. Mi' Corazon...(that's just between us....)

I have been so blessed in my career to work with some of the finest people I've had the pleasure of knowing. Right now - I'm not talking about my colleagues in Afghanistan. I'm speaking of those I left behind in the US.

I just spent the last 48 hours dealing with any number of issues from moving people out to various FOB's around southern Afghanistan, and receiving new people on Charter flights into this Country. All of that while trying to balance the number of actual bed spaces we have in this country. Tonight - I had to respond to a near riot in one of our large tent areas where two naieve finance professionals with the best of intentions took $50,000 in cash at night to a tent with over 200 people living in it to pay staff in cash - without any security or other assistance. I had just sat down to a wonderful DFAC dining experience when the phone call came, and had to get up immediately and leave.


All told - I was up at 4am to move passengers via C-130 to Camp Leatherneck - and then greet 120 Indian Food Service works at 6:30am on a flight directly from Baghdad to Kandahar (talk about bad Karma....Shiva must be pissed at them...) to work all day - and then respond to a tent of pushing and shoving 3rd Country nationals all wanting their piece of payday.


When I got back to my room I was greeted with a huge box addressed to me from my colleagues who have become my friends and loved ones back in Denver. To you - my friends at CH2M HILL, thank you! What an incredible surprise - and just at the time I needed that kind of pick up.



So - to all of you - my colleagues - who are definately my friends - and in some cases I would even go so far to say - my loved ones....(just ask my wife - she calls Scott and Jeff wifes #2 and #3....no its not a Mormon thing...) - your friendship - and goodness is appreciated.
To Karen, Jake and Jonah - I love you! I miss you! I'll see you real, real soon!





1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog!! I'm following you now. I was just curious why they were paying the TCN's in cash. Don't they usually pay them via direct deposit or something so their families can get the money? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete