Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Where are all the Good Men Dead? In the heart? Or in the Head?

Great line from a great movie (Gross Pointe Blank), adapted from William Shakespear (Merchant of Venice), but an interesting quote when you consider the personalities of people who would find themselves in a place like Afghanistan, at a time like now.

I say it's an interesting quote - because as you meet people here - the 80/20 rule tends to come into play - meaning - what I'm about to write probably applies 80% of the time.

Men in a war zone - are either soldiers who either volunteered for sevice and found themselves here, are passionate about the cause and depending on what side of the cause they are on - find themselves here, or are civilians who most likely not - are drawn here because of the earning potential from an excercize such as this. There will always be those outliers who don't fall into the typical "bell curve" of reason.

So as you begin meeting these people and getting to know their personalities, their likes, dislikes and then their outlooks on life and reasonings for being here - as is human nature you develop an opinion of that persons life all around - right or wrong - it's human nature.

Back to the quote - Where are all the Good Men Dead? There's alot of really good men - and women here - but the question lingers doesn't it? Why would they be here? Why am I here? The answers are even more troubling really - because following the generality of the 80/20 rule here - they are either dead in the heart......meaning they probably don't have an emotional attachment to anything to keep them from being here, or they are dead in the head.....too dumb to know better than to risk life and limb.

So there you have it - I've waxed philosophical on you today - and now you are left wondering - in relation to Dave - so - what is it? Heart or Head? Eh - I don't really believe in the 80/20 rule - and if I did - I'm clearly one of the 20% of those outliers......doesn't apply to me.

Thanks for playing....its been fun.....

Karen - I'm neither stupid - or devoid of passion for my family, friends, life and country.....I love you. This is our chance to make life altering adjustments - and you know what - that's why I don't fit this mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment