Friday, August 28, 2009

Countdown Over - Step 2 - Dallas-Fort Worth

Yesterday was the day.....the tearful goodbye with family, the worries and concerns about whether they will be ok....the drive to the airport.....

Here I sit in a hotel in Fort Worth, TX - the intermediate step prior to leaving for Afghanistan. I'm working at the Program Management Office (PMO) for the LOGCAP IV - Afghanistan South Area of Responsibility (AOR). I work for CH2M HILL, a Global Project Delivery company, who is teamed with 2 other Global Companies (DynCor International, Agility Logistics) to deliver this contract to the US Military.

I arrived at the PMO yesterday late, so I was briefly introduced to a few folks, then I checked into my hotel to prepare for an early morning conference call with the project folks in Afghanistan (6:30am). I arose early, got showered, dressed and headed for the car for the short drive to the office. It's dark here at 6am. I didn't feel well, and it was very humid out, so I was sweating like the fat man I am, but also didn't feel quite right.

Sure enough - I get to the office, park in a relatively empty parking lot, step out of the car - and proceed to blow chunks all over the place. I'm sick. I mean I haven't done that in years - I'm really sick.

I clean myself up best as I can, then hurry in the building for the call. What a miserably long call that was for me, as I just felt awful. When the call was over - I was told we had another one in 20 minutes with alot more folks in a conference room. No way....I can't do it.

I talk to my boss - and let her know that I'm not doing well, and should go back to the hotel - which she's really good about. So I load up - head back out to the car, and the minute I get there - here it comes again......yea.......again.....in the parking lot.

What a freaking illustrious beginning to my assignment on this program. He shoots, he scores - he decorates the parking lot.....

Aye - yi - yi....

Here's to a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment