Thursday, February 4, 2010

Good Day / Bad Day

It's my oldest son - Jake's 16th birthday today. I'm 8,000 miles away. I'm melancholy and wishing I were there. But it's a great day for Jake - Happy Birthday - I'm so pround of you!

I haven't written much or anything since I've been back, mainly because I have been so busy, but also because things have been pretty crazy. In the past 3 years, there have been no insurgent rocket attacks against Kandahar Airfield in the month of January. The last week in January we were rocketed 6 out of 7 days. We did end up having to wear Body armor and helmets for several of those days after dark. The rockets always come after dark.


Our billeting area on Kandahar Air Base is known as Camp Hicks, named after a DynCorp employee who passed away early on in this program. Tonight - the Taliban found us at Camp Hicks. We had a rocket hit one of our billeting blocks, penetrating a bathroom wall and inuring a man (one of our staff) who was in the bathroom at the time. It was the 3rd Rocket attack of the night against KAF, and unfortunately it found its mark in our camp. I happened to be working in the main office building at the time, and was immediately thrown into the absolute confusion of trying to asses the damage, inuries and accountabilities of all of our staff.

Adrenaline is starting to wear off, and it's approaching 1am. I'm tired, somewhat disappointed in how post incident the work we were doing went right back on. I know things have to move forward, but it bothered me in this event. I'm not sure if I'll write more about this or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment