Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Saying Goodbye a second time

Since I hadn't left for Afghanistan yet, and the prospect of spending labor day weekend in a hotel was not that appealing, I used some of those hard earned frequent flyer miles and flew home to Colorado for the weekend.

It was wonderful to see Karen, Jake and Jonah, and to spend some time taking care of those last minute things which I didn't get done the first time. Of course, there is always a giant list of things that still don't get done, and I feel bad about that.

As wonderful as it was to see Karen and the boys again, it was torture to say goodbye to them a second time. I think leaving them, was far worse this time, than it was 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure I could do that again.

So - why am I still in the US, and not in Afghanistan yet? Long story short.....there aren't enough beds at the US bases there to handle all of the existing life support personnel, new soldiers going into the country, and our contract folks as well. So - I wait.....not what I envisioned, but I wait. I really just want to get this show on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment